Chinese medicinal massage
During this course students are taught different techniques and applications of Tuina massage. This ancient technique of manipulation originating from China is applicable to various diseases. A solid knowledge of meridians and acupoints is necessary. Tuina massage is suitable for all adults and works especially well in children.
The course takes 2 years to complete. After the completion of the first year of acupuncture class, students can directly enroll to the Tuina class of one year.
- RAccredited by SNRO
- RExperienced lecturer team
- RInteractive Practice groups
- RApprenticeships in our own clinic
Tuition fee is
€ 1.950,- per year
Become a certified Tuina therapist
In this training you will learn intensive and practical Tuina massage and manipulation techniques that you can use to treat your patients even more effectively. In addition, we deal with making a good diagnosis and making a treatment plan based on various complaints and pathologies, which broadens and deepens your diagnostic and therapeutic skills.
This makes Tuina, as one of the pillars of Traditional Chinese Medicine, a valuable addition to your practice.
“Using Tuina massage and manipulation techniques to treat your patients even more effectively”
Baoshun Shi (hoofddocent)
Baoshun Shi graduated from the Beijing College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. He was taught by famous Chinese medicine massage, acupuncture and orthopedic experts and studied under Professor Shuchun Sun, a famous Chinese medicine expert in China. Baoshun Shi has worked in the Institute of Orthopaedics and Traumatology of China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the China-Japan International Acupuncture and Tuina Clinic.
Bas Aarts (assistent en tolk)
Drs. B.A.S. Aarts is afgestudeerd in Sinologie (Taal en Cultuur van China) aan de Universiteit van Leiden en heeft in Bejing drie jaar acupunctuur gestudeerd aan de Beijing Zhongyi Yao Daxue Universiteit. Terug in Nederland werkte hij vanaf 2003 bij Shenzhou als tolk en heeft daar de heer Shi leren kennen. Vanaf 2006 volgde hij bij de heer Shi de traditionele Tuina opleiding en heeft hij vervolgens tot 2010 full-time bij de heer Shi in de praktijk gewerkt.
Be inspired to learn more about what Shenzhou Open University of TCM has to offer and are ready to embrace a new career path in your life.
Practical information about the
Subjects of the 1st year of Tuina class
- History of Acupuncture and Moxibustion
- Introduction to meridian systems
- Theories of the “Specific Acupuncture Points”
- Essential knowledge of meridians and acupuncture points including fourteen meridian pathways; location, functions and clinical indications of commonly used acupuncture points
- Acupuncture needling techniques
- Moxibustion and Cupping
- Ear-, Scalp-, Electro Acupuncture
- Basic acupuncture point combinations
Subjects of the 2nd year of Tuina class
- Introduction to history, principles and theories of Tuina therapy
- Tuina manipulation techniques
- Paediatric Tuina: specific points used for children
- Paediatric Tuina: specific manipulations techniques used
- Tuina treatments for adults with various diseases
- Tuina treatments for children with various diseases
- ‘Walk steadily over the bridge’: from class to clinic
Basically, during the education students receive case analysis, discussion, acupuncture technique training, Tuina Manipulation practice, etc., in the classroom in different groups after the study of TCM Foundations. Besides students need to fulfill mandatory clinical training.
Amount of hours
Practical training: 124 uur
Clinical apprenticeship: 280 uur
- September 29 + 30
- October 3 +4
- Oct 31 + Nov 1
- November 28 + 29
- December 19 + 20
- February 6 (midterm exam) + 7
- March 13+14
- April 10 + 11
- May 1 + 2
- May 29 + 30
Each TCM education has the following study requirements:
- Teacher contact study
- Self study
- Clinical apprenticeship
- Interactive practice
- Literature study group
This means that in addition to the ten teaching weekends per study year, the student needs to spend a substantial time for self-study, (practical) group study and apprenticeship.
Study material and study books
Students have to buy a number of books. Extended syllabi will be distributed during the course via the student-site.
Please do not purchase books from this list before your registration.After your registration our study coordinators will inform you about the most recent list of mandatory books with additional information such as edition and ISBN numbers!
- Tuina therapy-treatment of adults & children, Weizhong Sun and Arne Kapner
- Tui na: A Manual of Chinese Massage Therapy, Sarah Pritchard
- Chinese tuina massage, Jin Hongzhu
- Chinese Tui Na Massage: The Essential Guide to Treating Injuries, Improving Health & Balancing Qi, Xiangcai Xu
- Introduction to Tui Na. World Century Publishing Corporation, Lan-qing Liu, Xiao Jiang, Gui-bao Ke
- Syllabi, Shenzhou Open University of TCM
All our English and Dutch TCM-programmes have been fully accredited by the independent accreditation organisation SNRO with 200 EC according to the newest higher professional education standards (HBO).
Together with our SNRO accredited Western Medicine courses this leads to a total of 240 EC. This enables our graduates to operate at a similar level as HBO bachelor graduates in the Dutch health care system as well as being able to give VAT free health treatments.